From a village-wide trick-or-treat-trail and one of the Travel Channel’s top Halloween Parades in the US, to an all-new house decorating competition, Nyack is the place to be during the Halloween season!
Nyack Pop-Up Chorus Sings The Rocky Horror Picture Show
An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe
On October 13, 19 & 26 the Nyack Village Theatre presents An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe ~ Readings & Interpretations featuring Nosferatu meets The Raven performed by Jorge Ramos. Other readers include: David Biedny, Rochelle Kepes, Richard Quinn, Genoveva Rossi and others to be announced. Click here for tickets.
Hallo-week October 19-26
Hallo-week competitions kick off with the Nyack Chamber of Commerce and Better Homes and Gardens Rand Realty house and lawn decorating contest, with a 6:00 pm start at Maura’s Kitchen, 81-83 South Broadway. With ballots in hand, the interested public will spread out across the village like a horde of hungry zombies looking for brains…and the best decorated homes. In addition to Maura’s, polling places include Nyack Library (South Broadway), Rockland YMCA (South Broadway), and Casa del Sol (Main Street). Voting closes Friday, October 26. Winning home to be announced at the October 27 parade. Click here to enter your house in the contest.
Night of the Living Dead 50th Anniversary at Casa del Sol
On October 24th, Casa Del Sol restaurant at 104 Main Street hosts a Night of the Living Dead 50th anniversary celebration. Haunted Happy Hour begins at 6:00 pm with Halloween-themed cocktails on the menu. DJ Don of the Dead plays hits from 1968 and other groovy tunes. A special viewing of Night of the Living Dead will be shown on the big screen in the dining room at 8:00 pm.
1931 Dracula Screening With Live Organ
October 25th, ArtsRock, Arts Angels and Rivertown Film present the original 1931 Dracula film with live organ accompaniment by Ben Model; 7:00 pm at Nyack High School, 360 Christian Herald Road. Click here for tickets.
Join The Amazing Kreskin as he haunts the Time Hotel Nyack on October 26 from 7:00-11:00 pm. With a showman’s flair, a comedian’s wit, and the capacities of a bona fide Mentalist or thought reader, The Amazing Kreskin has, for six decades, dramatized the unique facets of the human mind…his own. Tickets include a three-course dinner at BV’s Grill inside The Time Hotel Nyack. *no tickets will be sold at the door.
Nyack Halloween Parade and Music Festival
The Nyack Chamber of Commerce pulls out all the stops for the super scary “main event:”
- All-day music festival: featuring seven live bands at various outdoor locations throughout the village starting at 2:00 pm and continuing until after the parade.
- Trick-or-Treat Trail: At 2:00 pm, Nyack businesses open their doors and bottomless bags of candy to kids of all ages who crave sweets and are wearing cute costumes. Tricksters can pick up treat bags at the Nyack Chamber Visitor booth on Main Street
- Parade registration: Begins at 2:00 pm in Memorial Park for the 31st Annual Nyack Chamber Halloween Parade, including costume and float contests
- 31st Annual Nyack Halloween Parade: Steps off from Memorial Park at 5:30 pm
- Contest winners announced: Winners of the costume, float and home and lawn decorating competition winners will be announced at 8:00 pm in the Main Street parking lot following the parade. Cash prizes totaling over $2,000 will be awarded along with custom trophies designed by local artist Peter Cheney
- MonsterMash: Festivities continue at 8:30 at the Nyack Center, 59 Depew Avenue. Families are welcome for more music, games, food and sweet treats. Admission free.
- After parties: Nyack’s famous restaurants and night spots join the fun with special parties after the parade. Costumes welcome!
Registration forms for the parade available on the Nyack Chamber’s website.
Halloween Trick or Treating
Regardless of the day or the weather, everyone in Nyack comes out to celebrate Halloween. Streets are closed to traffic, homes are transformed into haunted attractions, and literally thousands of pounds of candy are distributed to kids of all ages in costumes worthy of the most creative fantasy runways in Tinseltown. Make sure to check out the South Nyack Firehouse on North Broadway, where they host its annual haunted house, a beloved tradition for those who dare make the visit. Festivities start at about 3:00 pm and go to the witching hour.